Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Poetry

"Mus'ab wrote a poem on Saidatinah Khadijah (ra)" was the breaking news after the salam when I stepped into the house. I was pleasantly surprised since I never knew he is into poetry and is the one with the few words among his siblings. Perhaps his reflective self is expressing itself and poetry may just be the right medium. My wife retrieved a sheet of paper from his schoolbag and here it goes:

The mother of believer

Saidatinah Khadijah,
the mother of believer,

she trusted Muhammad when he was spreading Islam,
she treated her slaves kindly,
she donated money to the charity,
she was generous,
and even offered money to Muhammad,
she fed her children well,
I think that she won't go to hell,
she did not say bad words,
she would even feed birds,
she was not stingy,
she acted kindly that you could say she was shiny,

Saidatinah Khadijah,
the mother of believer.

By Mus'ab Albakri

Not bad for a start. I read it again and was tickled by the innocence of the child and the attempt to rhyme the lines. But deep down my heart, I was pleased with it. Particularly over the effort and the expression to describe Saidatinah Khadijah, the beloved wife of our Prophet (saw) without inhibition and fear of (making) mistakes.

I have always admired poets for their ability to express thoughts and emotions through the limited yet elegant stanzas. And more so for those who are able to create poems from just a single word offered by a passer-by or a flash in the mind.

Back in 2004 when we were first introduced to the M3YP (Muis 3-Year Plan) I offered a poem to my OE colleagues in response to their call to create stories using words inherent in the M3YP. The poem was later read during the Staff Contact Day.

THE M3YP

I like to see it deepen our souls
And practice what we preach
As we set our minds to higher goals
Our agenda must be within everyone’s reach

Religious conviction is a must manifold
To forge and connect with the Divine
Through our actions our identity will unfold
Credible yet humble, prosperous yet generous, we are define

Are we effective one may ask
Can it be gauged by the blessings endowed upon us?
Without integrity these are but an illusive instance
The M3YP stands before us to renew our existence

Albakri Ahmad
2 Mar 04


Well done Mus'ab.
Enjoy poetry!

No comments: