Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Rahmatan Lil Alamin (RLA)

Wa ma arsalna ka illah rahmatan lil alamin. [Q 21:107]
And We have sent you not but as a mercy for all the universe.

I am not able to join my colleagues to donate blood to contribute to the RLA Blessings To All Day.

Not for the lack of blood or fear of the needle, but simply because I had once resided in the UK during the time of the Mad Cow Disease. I truly understand the safeguards put in place to prevent contamination at the blood bank and health risk to other patients due to bad blood (forgive the pun). But I am beginning to feel "stigmatised" due to the repeated publicity and expression of thanks to all who have signed up for the blood donation. Why do I feel this way? I asked. My conscience is clear - it is not that I do not want to give my blood. I should not feel guilty or awkward but I felt the urge to make my frustration known.

In reply to the staff notice which updated the number of pledgers and thanked them for the Rahmatan Lil Alamin Fund (RLAF) Blood Donation Drive I explained why my blood will not be accepted. I then asked the following question:

"Is there anything other than blood and cash that I can offer to be included in the RLAF gang - I feel marginalised if blood is the only commodity that carry the legal tender to be RLAF-ed.

Yours bloody but not wanted,
b"


I have now resigned to the fact that we (or I), blood donor "wannabes" are too small a number to justify attention and time to think of alternatives other than blood. Perhaps I should announce that I will donate my brain as substitute for blood to get the attention. But this is not about getting attention, isn't it? It is about offering choices and opportunities for all to participate and contribute.

Although demand for blood is greater than supply and a must for surgeries and critical medical conditions, Rahmatan Lil Alamin must not be reduced to blood donation.

I have thought long and hard what I would do to be blessings to all or to paraphrase, become a RLAF-ed person. I have decided to venture the following:

a) Tell others how important they have been to me - I will find one person a year and write them a letter and tell them how they had changed my life.

b) Give others a chance to do good - I will offer 50 envelopes, each with a $50 note. Anyone can have the envelope, no strings attached. All I ask is that the money be used for a good cause. I reckoned those who took the offer or picked the envelopes will ponder how best to spend the money and make a difference. I trust them to use the money wisely and pass on the trust they took from me.

c) Smile to whoever I meet at work, in the lift, on the street, even when someone stepped on my toe in the crowded MRT train.

Today, do something that will make someone's day.
And make animals, plants and the invisibles feel good (if you have access to them).

Stand up even if you are not counted!

No comments: