Monday, June 23, 2008

Eggs and Chicks


An energizer, as the name suggests, is a simple activity to create and inject energy during workshops when the energy level among participants is low, or to serve as a break between sessions.

For an energizer at a workshop I attended some time ago, participants were asked to draw an animal that best represents them or simply put – if you are an animal what will it be? This question may be construed to be dehumanising, hence sensitive for some. Not wanting to be difficult (or even perceived as anti-social), I diligently pondered a while before putting pen to paper.

Eventually I drew a hen and subsequently was asked to share my drawing to everyone else and more importantly (or embarrassingly) why I chose the hen.

I explained to my fellow participants that it was a good friend who pointed out to me that I am akin to a hen that laid eggs wherever I went and whoever I met. Although he clarified what he thought those metaphorical eggs were, I hesitate to reveal it for fear of self-conceit.

But he was also quick to point out that while I am very active at laying eggs, I failed to hatch these eggs and nurture the chicks.

I received my copy of the latest issue of The Economist today and the words on the promotional cover wrap brought this metaphor - the hen and the unhatched eggs, back to me. The words were from The Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy and it read:

Wanted:
20 people to
help change
the World.

I was struck by the bold and confident tone of the message. And I quite like the idea of inviting some 20 people to help change the World.

Then suddenly I thought I could possibly do that (too!).

By the way, that was an advert for the 20 places at the LKYSPP's Master in Public Management programme targeted at senior policymakers in the public and private sector and civil society with a proven track record of leadership in their organisations.

But will be my value proposition? For the LKYSPP's MPM programme participants will work towards a degree and a lucrative career. What value or benefit can be expected from participating in this venture or going on this journey together?

Making a difference to our lives and the people around us, I thought.
It may not appear elegant in its wording or sounding. Some may even reject it as a distasteful cliché. But that should not deter us to be useful and contribute to improve the lives of others, no matter how small or insignificant it may be.

I have yet to work out what this programme will entail. Ideally it should be designed by participants collectively as a learning community. It may sound and appear loose and unstructured at this point in time, but I make no bones of the commitment and passion needed to grow and develop together. And without doubt, high standards of discipline.

This is an invitation for 20 young leaders to help change the World.
Only those who are able to put others before self should apply.

Needless to say, this is one nest of eggs I very much like to hatch and nurture the chicks.

No comments: