Friday, June 13, 2008

Self-Discipline Foodstyle

There were times when I was able to walk into my favourite kebab place or ice-cream counter but decided to give it a miss at the point of placing the order. I had always thought that was somewhat an exercise in sacrifice, if not self-discipline.

Self-discipline was what I wanted to teach myself by deciding to go on diet on 26 May 08, through the posting on Qawiyyal Jism. I had also intended to report back two weeks later (on 9 June) whether I achieved my target of losing 10 kg off my weight. Since I could not find a weighing scale (this is absolutely true!) on Mon the 9th in London, I decided to weigh myself the moment I arrived home.

I started at 84 kg, and alhamdulillah weighed 77 kg today. I have lost 7 kg from the day I started this lifestyle (or rather, foodstyle) but short of 3 kg from the 10 kg target.

It was quite an experience. I vividly remembered the search for a "non-rice" stall during lunch on the first day. After a tiring search and walk, I resigned to a plate of steak at an eating place in Toa Payoh - disappointingly, it was not quite the quality I had in the past and yet, pricey too. Subsequently it was much easier - bowl of Yong Tau Foo full of vegetables (and I love the soup) at Fork and Spoon, Chicken Chop at Adam Road and Salad from KFC. Not forgetting, plain water for drinks.

There were moments when I thought how could I give up the Samiramis pastries (with apricot filling) that I brought back from Damascus and my favourite ice-cream (in the fridge).

Soon I began to cope with the "no rice, no bread, no sweets and low fat" diet, and enjoy the thought of figuring and choosing what to eat. Choice is a key word here - I choose what I want to eat based on what I believed it will do to my body and health.

It was made easier in Amsterdam and London because there were many Kebab restaurants, particularly around Edgware Road. And since I did not opt for breakfast by the hotels, it was very convenient to avoid the English breakfast and its traditional orange juice. Instead, I bought a packet of fresh tomatoes - and had it one per day for breakfast.

In addition to the diet, I did a lot of walking too. My wife and I did our walk in the evening after Isya' prayer in our neighbourhood. And I walked miles in Amsterdam and London - thanks to the beautiful end-spring and early-summer breeze and weather.

I feel much lighter and healthier and at times suprised at how easy it was to bend to pick up things from the floor.

But the challenge is not over - tomorrow I will be attending a wedding of the son of my cousin, and next Monday onwards, when I am having lunch with my "lunch kakis" at work.

They have already noticed my weight loss, and remarked how I looked "run-down" from my travels. I will have to be truthful to them soon - that it was not because of the travels, lest they think I am burdened by it.

I am no longer able to eat large portions, and may not make a significant contribution to the current food shortage.

Eating by choice is my very small effort to self-discipline.
It will be my lifestyle for quite a long while now, InshaAllah.

No comments: