Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Team Polaris

They were a joy to be with. Never failed to seize the moment to generate fun, they did it through cooking, cleaning and other daily rituals. They are NTU undergraduates, from different schools but united through a common cause: to give what they are called: Pieces of Love and Radiance in Smiles.

I was introduced to this expedition some months ago when I gave a talk at NTU for their Monthly Dose of Islam Series. Privately, I harboured the intent to do humanitarian work in Cambodia for many years when I watched the video produced by the YMS team for their expedition and community service circa 2001/2002. The team built a school building at one of the villages. So when I was informed that NTUMS is organising an expedition to Cambodia, I asked whether I could join the team without a second thought. Just soon after making this commitment, I realised it was not possible to be away from work for the entire expedition period. Nurfaiezah (or affectionately known by her team-mates as Faz) who is the team leader accommodated my constraints on the number of days I could be in the expedition. Later almost a week before departure she acceded my request for Muslim to join me on this expedition. Many thanks -- Faz.

Although I am acquainted with 3 of the team members (Faz, Acap and Abud), all others in the team were total strangers to me and Muslim. I reckoned some had felt uncomfortable and awkward by my presence in the team as we squeezed ourselves (including Pitou) in someone's bedroom for the nightly debriefs -- particularly those who have always saw the "serious" me at NTUMS. The generation gap was obvious, what more with the title "Dr" to my name.

During the introductory session (on arrival at Phnom Penh) I told the team that I came to learn from the young for me to be younger. When Muslim and I were addressed as their guests, I asked them not to accord us any special privileges, but to assign us duties just like any member of the team. Faz jokingly volunteered me to do dinner the first night at Sihanoukville -- and dinner we did (although I played a very small part, as a kitchen hand for that evening).

I tried to contribute and do whatever it takes to be part of the team, including dancing to the "hoky poky" song at the slump school, playing scissors-paper-stone with a three-year old girl, five stones (literally stones) with the children at the yard, kick-tossing the chap-teh with Zul and the boys, raking up the soil for the eco-garden, among other acts. Mariam, one of the team member, remarked that I am the epitome of "there's a kid in all of us", for her farewell message to me.

We bonded like family through Angels and Mortals, Blow Wind Blow, Tuki Tuki, Karaoke-ing and having meals together. These activities, the fun and the accompanying laughter re-energised our tired bodies, replenished our enthusiasm and kept our spirits high. The occasional tears and emotional intermissions, along with tasbih kafarah united us in spirit and soul.

I joined the team to learn from the young and to get some youthful inspiration. These young undergraduates had indeed taught me lessons. Their enthuasiasm, spontaneity, patience and resilience inspired me.

They strengthened the optimism I have on our young. I am deeply grateful to be in their team and very proud of each and everyone of them.

Team Polaris (and Polaroids: Faeizah, Nahri, Nafisah, Mira, Fasihah, Fiza, Nurul, Shila, Iz, Azzah, Mariam, Syuadah, Linh, Abud, Nadz, Shameera, Yaya, Zul, Khairil, Pitou, Ashraf and Muslim) -- You Rockz!

2 comments:

Faiezah Osman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Faiezah Osman said...

Salaam Dr Bakri,

I happened to come across your blog and I am very touched by this entry. Alhamdulillah, the experience had been a meaningful and fulfilling one for you. The team too appreciated yours and Muslim's presence very much. We definitely missed both of you and acap after you left!

Thank you for all the enthusiasm that you brought to the team and more importantly, the much-needed wisdom and guidance. Do you want to 'adopt' 19 more Singaporean and 1 Vietnamese children? :p

- faiezah